Sunday, June 7, 2009

Ciuc Marathon

Hello again,

I am coming back with a race update. For me this was the 3rd race in three week-ends. I was (and still am) a bit tired but I am happy. After one year break Ciuc Marathon came back, so I went to ride. As I am preparing for OX races I've decided to ride at the short distance: 41km. We sleep near Miercurea Ciuc, because in the city we haven't found anything... but was really nice and the silence helped me to sleep well, all of this after I've prepared for me and my mates some pastas.

But now let's talk about the race. Again for me was a fast start, but because I wasn't warmed up properly, on the first climb I've lost a few minutes. After that was pretty hard to come back. I was felling better and better and I pushed my limits to get back in front. The long hard climbs were followed by fast or technical downhills, but the bike helped me to ride faster than I did it before.

After 25 km I get back into the leading group and I stayed there until the last km of the race when I've pushed a bit harder, but I won the race at the sprint.

I knew the course from the previous editions of the marathon, but this year was a bit changed and I was surprised on some descends. Also a few dogs followed me, but I was lucky they didn't bite me. They were looking pretty dangerous.

I was surprised also by the last stairs in the city, stairs where a few guys felt off the bike. This happened also because the course commissars didn't tell was what is in front of us and the marking signs were missing. The lack of marking signs caused more accidents on the course too.

Overall, for me was a good race, the first victory of 2009 and a good training. I'm glad with the result and with way my bike functioned.

I've race for the first time the new Xpedo Twins Ti Pedals and worked really nice (but I will make a review soon). I run with Continental Mountain King 2.2 tires as I was a bit afraid of rain, but even without it I felt really fast on climbs and downhills. The Ashima AiRotors were light enough but also strong to stop me when I need it.

Thanks again to my sponsors. Without them I couldnt get here: Cannondale Bikes, Maros Sport, Ashima, Syntace, Selle Italia, VDO, Sapim, Adidas Eyewear, Xpedo, 661, Buff, Sram, Kool Stop and DT Swiss. Also I must thank to: my parents, Simona, Gabee, Eli, Iustin for driving and to everyone that supports me

You can see more photos IF YOU CLICK HERE

This week end I'll race again. As I feel a bit tired I hope to get in good shape and to race well again.

See you soon,
Vlad




Free Web Counters

Locations of visitors to this page