Saturday, May 3, 2008

1st. of May = Bad luck

1St. of May was an unlucky day. At least for me... Me and my team (Maros Team) went in Hungary at Buda Marathon, because we have to keep in shape for next races. Everything was good. I've decided to run the short distance to prepare myself for the Cross Country races.... so at least for me this race was like one cross country lap without to see the course before. There was no problem because I was feeling strong.

The start was a bit weird, because there were 3 or 4 lines with more than 800 riders, so I've expected a big crowd. I got a fast start and I kept the pace with the best Hungarian riders. As I told you earlier I felt very strong and I was confident that I can get at least the podium. First climbs were tricky because of the gravel, but it wasn't a problem. On the first descend I let a local rider in front of me, to make sure I won't have any surprise corners or something. Everything was going very well. After 1,5km of descend the comedown: a flat on the rear wheel (d**n it). I tried to use my puncture spray to fix it, but it was a snake bite so it didn't have any effect. My hands were shaking. I got off the wheel and replaced the tube. The first cartridge wasn't enough so I had to use my second one also. Now the wheel was good to use again, but I've lost there more than 5 minutes and more than 100 riders passed. So now it started the regainment race. I was a bit stressed but motivated to get in front, even if I had the fear not to get again a puncture, because I didn't have other tube. On that descend I missed a corner so I got in the bushes, but I was passing the riders one by one. The biggest climb of the race was in front of me. Some of the riders were pushing the bikes, I was on the middle ring struggling to pass more and more riders. I've risked a lot on the descends again (I don't think that in other conditions I'd do something like that). On the singletrails was a bit annoying because I couldn't pass some of the riders so I was a bit disappointed by the lack of fair play.

I got at the finish line the 10th at 6'19'' after the winner. I don't know ... I am happy for the way I was riding, and because I felt so good on the bike ... but I am not happy with my final position. But that's the way it is and I can't do anything to fix it.

Be sure that my revenge will come on the next race !

Until than I'll continue the training...

Wish you the best,

Vlad

No comments:

Post a Comment